Image Map

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Home: Little Miss J's Pink & Blue Bedroom

Happy Wednesday, friends! Today I am back to share my darling little Miss J's bedroom. Another one of the great features of this house is that all of the bedrooms are really good size. Each of the kids' rooms is in the basement, so they have really tall ceilings in their rooms as well. Each child also has the added bonus of a large walk in closet, which is especially nice to tame all of the toys and clutter that can typically be found in a child's room. 

When we purchased this home, Miss J made it clear that she wanted a pink and blue room. Not just any pink, Hot Pink. She had a twin size hot pink wrought iron bed from PBK that we were going to sell because I decided her new room would look better with a full size bed. Miss J was adamant that her new bed/headboard also be hot pink. I needed to create a room that my 7 year old and I both would love using hot pink and blue. I was up to the challenge! 

The bedroom was painted the same gray as the rest of the house. The walls were also pretty blank and boring. Given the fact that the walls are so tall, I knew I wanted to add some finish work to add some architectural interest and draw the eye upwards. I had my finish carpenter install moulding to create the look of 3 panels on the bed wall. I also had him install 6" crown moulding around the perimeter of the room. My painter then painted all the moulding white and the walls a very pale blue. 

Take a look...




We made the window cornice and added ready made drapes from West Elm. My fabulous Mother in law sewed on the pom pom trim to give the drapery some flair.
You can read more about the DIY window cornice here.









Little Miss J is thrilled with her bedroom and I kinda love it too. 

PS - No matter how hard I try I cannot get the wrinkles out of her rug! Any suggestions?? :)

Hope you are having a great week!